Service Desk FAQ

 Do I need to bring any special software to school?

We generally recommend you bring any copies of any install media used to setup your computer devices that were included with the purchase of your computer as well as install media for additional software you may have installed. Bringing along this software will speed up the process of repairing your computer or reinstalling software if needed. ​

 What are the UWSP suggested computer specifications?

Visit our recommended personal computer configurations page for more information.

 Does the University provide any software for me to use for free?

Yes, UWSP provides current versions of many software applications for student/staff use.  Visit our Software Support page for information about the campus load, software available for home, and UWSP specific application support.

 Are student computer repair services available?

Limited student computer repair services are available through the Information Technology Service Desk.  Visit our repair services page for more information.

 Can I purchase Microsoft Office from UWSP?

A purchase is not necessary for Microsoft Office.  Students, Faculty and Staff can install Microsoft Office 365 for FREE from the UWSP Office 365 portal at For more information visit our Office 365 FAQ page.

 Can I purchase a computer from UWSP?

No, however UWSP students and staff are eligible to receive special discounts directly from the companies. Visit our special pricing on hardware page for more information.

 How to find a UWSP computer name?


Windows 10

  1. Log into your UWSP Windows 10 computer and search for "computer name".

  2. In the search results click View your PC name.


(most recent versions) 
  1. Click the Apple icon in the top left corner of the display

  2. Click About This Mac.

  3. In the new window, click on More info...

  4. In the About window view the Mac name in the first row.

 Can I check out media equipment from the Service Desk for academic purposes?

Yes. The Service Desk offers a large selection of media equipment for check out to UWSP students and staff. Visit our equipment loan pages for more information.

​Residential Living Technology FAQ

 Is the Residential Living Network available for off campus students?

No. Residential Living network services are provided only to students living in the University Residence Halls.

 Can I connect my game console (XBox One, PS5, Nintendo Switch, etc.) to the network?

Yes, plug your gaming device into the campus network with an Ethernet Cable and you should be good to go.  If you prefer to use the wireless network for connecting, you will want to connect to the UWSPDEVICE Wireless network.  Please see our page, "Residential Living - Connecting to the Internet" for more information.

 What is the campus policy on file sharing?

Information Technology does not endorse file sharing. File sharing slows the Internet connection down for everyone in the residence hall. Read the e-mail from Service Desk regarding our RIAA notice policy.

 How to fix a pushed in port?

A pushed in port can be easily fixed by following these simple steps.

  1. If your port is pushed in, it will look like this:


  2. Use a flat screw driver or a butter knife to pop out the port.
  3. Grab the triangular piece and you will see your network cable.


  4. Grab your network cable and snap it back onto the triangular piece

  5. Snap the triangular piece back on.

  6. Your pushed in port is now fixed.

 Are routers or wireless access points allowed in the Residence Halls?

No. Having any kind of router is a violation of your Residential Living Network contract and may result in the loss of service.
​​ ​
Have questions? Please contact the Service Desk.