Skip to main content

Preferred Name - Changing First or Middle Name

All university correspondence addressed to students is based on the current name of record in the UWSP Student Information System (accesSPoint).

Process to Change First or Middle Name 

Students enrolled at UWSP may change their first or middle name by submitting a Change of Preferred Name Form.  Requests for last name changes require the Primary Name Change Form and one form of legal documentation.  If you are no longer enrolled at UWSP and wish to have your name changed on university records, please click here for more information.  

Effect of Preferred Name Changes on Student Records   

A student's preferred name change will be reflected in online directory information, class rosters, grade rosters, Student Services Center in accesSPoint, and the degree audit.   Student employment records will not be impacted by name changes.
Please be advised that changing your first name with the university is not the same as legally changing your name through the courts.  If you have a legal name change, please complete the Change of Primary Name Form and provide supporting documentation. 


A student's updated name of record will be disclosed as "directory information" unless the student refuses to permit such disclosure. For further information on disclosure of directory information, please refer to UWSP Guidelines for Compliance with the Family Educational rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  
Disclaimer: This policy does not form a contract of any kind and may be modified, changed, altered, or rescinded by UWSP at its discretion. 


Website feedback
©1993- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point