Skip to main content

Changing Legal Name

All university correspondence addressed to students is based on the current name of record in the UWSP Student Information System (accesSPoint).

Process to Change Legal Name

Students enrolled at UWSP may change their last name by providing the Registrar's Office with appropriate documentation and a Change of Primary Name Form.

Acceptable Documentation: 

  • Marriage License/Certificate
  • Adoption Papers
  • Court Order
  • Passport/Permanent Visa
  • Driver's License
  • Divorce Decree
  • Social Security Card 
If you are no longer enrolled at UWSP and wish to have your name changed on university records, please click here for more information (see also Wisconsin Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies).


A student's updated name of record will be disclosed as "directory information" unless the student refuses to permit such disclosure. For further information on disclosure of directory information, please refer to UWSP Guidelines for Compliance with the Family Educational rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). 
Disclaimer: This policy does not form a contract of any kind and may be modified, changed, altered, or rescinded by UWSP at its discretion.
Website feedback
©1993- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point