Maintenance Work Unit

The Facility Services, Maintenance Work Unit serves as stewards of all Academic and Administrative buildings. Facility Services, Maintenance supports all standard maintenance, preventative maintenance, renovations, and remodels.
The Maintenance Work Unit provides two shifts of coverage for campus, Monday through Friday, 7am – 11pm.  They also provide an on-call service to address after hour campus emergencies.  The maintenance team consists of a diverse group of professionals and craftsmen committed to serving students, faculty, staff, alumni and visitors by providing safe, functional, and well-maintained buildings.

There are 2.5 million gross square feet of building space on campus, 21 Acres of building roofs on campus, 2.5 miles of heating pipe underground, 1.9 miles of electrical underground duct network, 2.1 miles of signal underground duct network.
Requests for maintenance work can be processed through the computerized work order system. Just click on the "Submit A Work Order" button on the left hand column.

 What services that you offer are chargeable to our department?

As a general rule, if the request is for an item/task not a part of the structure of the building or it is not a part of the routine maintenance, it is chargeable.  For more specific inquiries or needs, please contact the Facility Services Work Order Control Center at 715-346-4219 (ext. 4219) or review UWSP Facility Services Chargeback Policy.

UWSP Facility Services Chargeback Policy

 What is the difference between Maintenance and Preventative Maintenance?

Maintenance is a reactive measure to something that is in need of repair, needs attention or has failed.

Preventive maintenance is maintenance that is regularly performed on a piece of equipment to lessen the likelihood of it failing and to ensure the longevity of the equipment.

 What buildings are Facility Services responsible for maintaining?

The Facility Services, Maintenance Work Unit is responsible for the Academic and Administrative buildings on the UWSP campus.

  • Old Main – 2100 Main St.
  • College of Professional Studies – 1901 Fourth Ave.
  • Communication Arts Center – 1101 Reserve St.
  • Collins Classroom Center – 1801 Fourth Ave.
  • Delzell Hall – 910 Fremont St.
  • George Stein Building – 1925 Maria Dr.
  • Health Enhancement Center – 2050 Fourth Ave.
  • Learning Resources Center – 900 Reserve St.
  • Maintenance and Materiel Building – 1848 Maria Dr.
  • Nelson Hall – 1208 Fremont St.
  • Noel Fine Arts Center – 1800 Portage St.
  • North Campus Chiller Plant – 300 Illinois Ave.
  • Science Building – 2001 Fourth Ave.         
  • Schmeeckle Reserve Visitor Center - 2419 N. Point Dr.
  • Student Services Center - 1108 Fremont St.
  • Trainer Natural Resources Building – 800 Reserve St.
  • Wetlands Lab – 4107 County R
  • Wood Utilization Lab – 2000 Maria Dr.
  • Waste Education Center – 1940 Maria Dr.
  • 601 Division Street – 601 Division St.

For a look at many of these facilities please click here.

In addition, Facility Services provides support (as requested) to Treehaven, CWES, Bayfield Aquaculture, and Montello Aquaponics.

Facility Services will support Residential Living buildings, University Centers and Dining Services buildings upon request from those building managers or staff.  This support follows the UWSP Facility Services Chargeback Policy  (referenced in the above Q&A).

 How can I ensure that the climate control in my room is comfortable?

The Facility Services, Maintenance Work Unit staff relies heavily on the Campus Reservation System (Virtual EMS) for day-to-day operations and for staffing during special events. Any immediate issues can be addressed by calling the Facility Services Work Order Control Center at 715-346-4219 (ext. 4219). If you are hosting an event on campus, please be sure to schedule it through the Campus Reservation System.

 What is the role of Facility Services regarding asbestos abatement?

Several members of the Facility Services staff are certified as Asbestos Inspectors.  In this role, they are trained to identify possible asbestos containing materials within the campus, collect samples and make arrangement for testing / abatement.  Facility Services contracts the asbestos abatement process to licensed abatement contractors that adheres to state and federal regulatory policies regarding asbestos abatement.  Abatement work frequently takes place without the need to relocate employees working in areas adjacent to the construction zone.  Areas receiving abatement are sealed off from public access (using heavy plastic sheeting), ventilated and receive thorough air quality testing / monitoring throughout the abatement process.  Any areas receiving asbestos abatement are posted with a removal notice and an asbestos fact sheet.

 What do I do if a light is not working?

The Maintenance work unit of Facility Services provides light bulbs for all public; non-specialty areas.  Please submit a work order or call x4219 to report any lighting issues.  The work order is then directed to the Facility Services Maintenance staff by the Facility Services Work Control Center.

 What kind of work do you do?

The Maintenance Work Unit consists of skilled professionals with diverse expertise, able to accomplish a wide array of tasks including...
  • Electrical Services
  • Carpentry
  • Painting
  • Mechanical Maintenance
  • Locksmithing
  • Welding
  • Glazing
  • Masonry & Concrete
  • Roof Repairs
  • Fabrication
  • HVAC Services
  • Remodeling & Renovation
  • Project Management
The UWSP campus is in many ways much like a small city and our highly trained professional maintenance staff and their unique abilities help to keep it in fine working order.

 What if there is an urgent or emergency maintenance issue?

 If you require immediate assistance or have an emergency, during normal business hours (7:00 am through 10:00 pm M-F), please call our Work Control Center (715) 346-4219 (ext: 4219).
After hour emergency requests, please contact Protective Service at (715) 346-3456 (ext: 3456).   The Protective Services dispatcher will contact the facilities maintenance person on duty and dispatch the work request.
For non-emergency maintenance issues, please submit a work order.

​​ ​