​Frequently Asked Questions & Institutional Information

*Note* The Principal Investigator (PI) is not the official applicant and is not authorized to accept awards or inter into contracts on behalf of the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.

 What is ORSP?

ORSP stands for the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs and offers services to UWSP faculty and staff regarding grants, contracts, agreements, and research endeavors. The office is located in Old Main 208 (2100 Main St., Stevens Point, WI 54481-3897).

 What institutional information will I need for my grant application?

Name and address of organization applying for support:
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
2100 Main Street
Stevens Point, WI 54481-3897

Authorized Organizational Representative:
The person authorized to sign grants/contracts on behalf of UWSP is Katherine P. Jore, Associate Vice Chancellor for Personnel, Budget & Grants.

Congressional District: WI-003 (Note: Treehaven and the Northern Aquaculture Demonstration Facility are in Congressional District WI-007)

Senate District: 24

WI Legislative Assembly District: 71

Cognizant Federal Agency: Dept. of Health & Human Services

Indirect Cost Rate (F&A Rate): 34.00% based on Modified Total Direct Costs (MTDC). Effective July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2024

Please contact our office for:
Tax ID, DUNS, or Human Subjects Assurance numbers

 Who do I list as the applicant on a grant application?

University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
2100 Main Street
Stevens Point, WI 54481-3897

 Who is the Authorized Organizational Representative?

The person authorized to sign grants/contracts on behalf of UWSP is Katherine P. Jore, Associate Vice Chancellor for Personnel, Budget & Grants. If you sign a grant/contract, you may be held personally liable. Also, the grant may be returned to the funding agency.

 How do I apply for a grant?

See the Grant Submission Checklist.

For internal grant applications for the University Personnel Development Committee (UPDC), view their webpage for application forms, guidelines, and due dates.​

 Why is a WISPER record needed?

It is the electronic method UWSP uses to track and report pre-award and post-award processes.

 What are the roles and responsibilities of the PI, the Dept. Chair, and the Dean or Line Officer?

 When do I need to route my WISPER record?

It should be routed to your your Department Chair and subsequent Dean at least 10 business days before the submission deadline date. It should be received in the Office of Research & Sponsored Programs a minimum of five business days before the deadline date. 

If you can’t meet the timeframe, please notify your Department Chair, Dean’s office, and the ORSP as soon as possible. In this situation, efforts will be made to obtain the appropriate approvals but is not guaranteed.

 What are fringe benefits?

Fringe benefits are a real cost to the university. Depending upon employment classification, fringe benefits may include retirement, health insurance, social security, unemployment compensation, worker’s compensation, income continuation insurance, and life insurance.

 What are UWSP's fringe benefit rates?

See Fringe Rates​.

 What are indirect costs (also called overhead or Facilities & Administrative/F&A)?

Indirect costs, although not readily identifiable with specific projects, are real costs charged to individual grants or contracts to provide reimbursement for certain institutional expenses that cannot be directly charged since they result from shared services, such as libraries, plant operation and maintenance, utility costs, departmental support, research administration expenses, and depreciation or use allowance for buildings and equipment.

See Indirect Cost Rates.

 What is UWSP’s on campus Indirect Cost Rate (Facilities & Administrative/F&A Rate)?

34.00%. It is based on Modified Total Direct Costs (MTDC). The period covered is July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2024. 

 What is the cognizant federal agency that negotiated the indirect cost rate?

Department of Health & Human Services

 What are Modified Total Direct Costs (MTDC)?

MTDC consists of all salaries and wages, fringe benefits, materials, supplies, services, travel, and subgrants and subcontracts up to the first $25,000 of each subgrant or subcontract (regardless of the period covered by the subgrant or subcontract).

Modified total direct costs shall exclude equipment, capital expenditures, charges for patient care, rental costs, student tuition remission, scholarships and fellowships, participant support costs, as well as the portion of each subgrant or subcontract in excess of $25,000.

 Is there information about collaborative proposals?

 Who do I contact if I need help writing a proposal or need help finding funding opportunities?

Funding opportunities can be found here, or navigate to the ORSP homepage and click "Find Funding". 

You may also reach out to our office for more information, orsp@uwsp.edu  

 Who do I contact for help with the submission of external grants and contracts (funding from outside UWSP)?

Katie Jore, Associate Vice Chancellor for Personnel, Budget, and Grants
kjore@uwsp.edu; 715-346-3710

 Who do I contact for help with the submission of UW System grants, internal grants, and non-federal extramural grants?

Emily Knutson, Grants and Compliance Specialist
eknutson@uwsp.edu; 715-346-3799

 Who do I contact for questions about IRB, IACUC, and IBC?

Each committee has an inbox for questions:

 Who sets up an account number for me, monitors my award, and handles invoicing?

Grant Accounting handles the post-award process, such as account numbers (Project ID numbers for external grants/contracts). Visit the Grant Accounting Department's website to learn more and find contact info​rmation. 

 Who should checks be made payable and sent to?

Payable to: University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

Send to:

UW-Stevens Point
Student Financ​ials Office
1108 Fremont St Rm 003 SSC
Stevens Point, WI 54481

 I am a student. What opportunities are there for me?

The Office of Student Creative Activity and Research, within University College. 

 I am a student. How do I get reimbursed for my OSCAR Fund?

See the Payment Services website or reach out to the Office of Student Creative Activity and Research, oscar@uwsp.edu

​​ ​