Skip to main content

Not Enough Aid?

The types and amounts of financial aid you are eligible for are determined by information you have provided on your annual FAFSA application and the availability of funds at the time of application. If you find that you do not have enough funding to cover your costs, there are a few options for you to explore.

  • Private Educational Loan - With this loan, the student is the borrower, with many lenders requiring co-signers if the student has little or no credit. The loans are not regulated by the government, and each lender will set its own interest rates and requirements. View our private lending comparison tool, FastChoice, for options and help determining which private student loan best meets your needs.
  • Federal Parent PLUS Loan - This loan enables credit-worthy parents of undergraduate, dependent students to borrow funds to pay for their child's educational expenses.
  • Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan - This loan enables credit-worthy degree-seeking graduate students to borrow funds to pay for their educational expenses.
  • Financial Aid Appeal - If one or more of your family members has experienced a reduction of income in the prior or current tax year due to extenuating circumstances (lay-off, change of jobs, reduced hours, loss of child support, etc.), you may submit the financial aid appeal form and we will review your situation.
  • 529 Plan Withdrawals - Families who previously established 529 plans (EdVest, MN College Savings, etc.) may withdraw money from those plans to use tax-free for qualifying educational expenses. Contact your 529 Plan administrator for more information.
  • ROTC, Armed Forces Reserves and National Guard - Military service commitment benefits include varying forms or financial aid for tuition and other expenses. For more information, contact your local armed forces recruiting office or UWSP's Department of Military Science.
  • Veterans Educational Benefits - If you or one of your parents is a veteran, you may be eligible for financial aid from the VA or the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs. For more information, contact UWSP's Financial Aid and Veteran Services office.
©1993- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point