Skip to main content

Welcome International Students!

The decision to invest in a quality higher education is one of the most important decisions you can make. Unfortunately, most foreign citizens are not eligible for federal student aid from the U.S. Department of Education. There are, however, some instances in which noncitizens may be eligible for financial aid from the U.S. federal government (see below eligible noncitizen criteria). Additionally, undergraduate international students may be eligible for UWSP's nonresident fee waiver. By working together with our financial aid team, we want to help you, the best we can, with funding options so you can achieve your educational goals.


Eligible Noncitizen

A U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swains Island), U.S. permanent resident (who has an I-151, I-551 or I-551C [Permanent Resident Card]), or an individual who has an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing one of the following designations:

  • "Refugee" 

  • "Asylum Granted" 

  • "Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending)"

  • "Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980) 

  • Victims of human trafficking, T-visa (T-2, T-3, or T-4, etc.) holder 

  • "Parolee" (You must be paroled into the United States for at least one year and you must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that you are in the United States for other than a temporary purpose and that you intend to become a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.) 

If you meet the noncitizen criteria above, you are eligible to receive federal student aid. If you are unsure of your eligibility, go ahead and complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If additional information is needed, we will contact you.

Please be sure to visit our International Student and Scholar Services website provided by the Office of International Education.

Website feedback
©1993- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point