Skip to main content

​​​​ Enrollment

Full and Part-time Enrollment and the Impacts on Aid

Financial aid is typically offered based on full-time enrollment. Students must be enrolled at least half-time to receive financial aid; if less than full-time a financial aid adjustment will be made and a reduction in aid eligibility may occur for any term in which you were enrolled for that aid year. There are some types of financial aid that are credit sensitive that may be reduced or cancelled. For more information, please contact our office. 
After classes begin, fall and spring awards are based on actual enrollment. Additionally, your fall and spring final award will be adjusted based on the number of credits for which you are enrolled on the 10th day of classes (financial aid census date). Summer enrollment will be reviewed throughout the entire session. See our Dates and Deadlines page for fall and spring dates.

Students are required to begin attendance in all classes for which they are paid. Additionally, for students who receive a Federal Pell Grant, once credits are locked on the financial aid census dates, no adjustments will be made to the award amount should your enrollment fluctuate, unless you do not begin attendance in a course or you completely withdraw from the term. Beginning attendance (academic activity) is required for ALL classes/credits upon which Federal Pell Grant and Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG) are based. For Direct Loans, eligibility must be established for the first disbursement of the Direct Loan by beginning attendance in at least one class. Being reported as not-attending may result in being billed for any money that was disbursed based on your enrollment.

If you do not plan to enroll full time and once your enrollment is finalized, please contact the Financial Aid and Veteran Services office so an aid adjustment can be made. Students enrolled less than half time are not eligible to receive loans in the Federal Loan programs, however, based on your Student Aid Index (SAI) as determined by your FAFSA, undergraduate students may be eligible for a partial Federal Pell Grant.

The deadline to apply for financial aid is typically 1-2 weeks before the last day of your enrollment in the academic year. Be aware, we must receive and be able to make a financial aid offer before the last day of your enrollment in a given term.

Undergraduate Student Enrollment

Academic Year
12-18 credits full-time; 9-11 credits three-quarter-time; 6-8 credits half-time
Summer 12+ credits full-time; 9-11 credits three-quarter-time; 6-8 credits half-time

Graduate Student Enrollment

Academic Year
9+ credits full-time; 6-8 credits three-quarter-time; 5 credits half-time
Summer5+ credits full-time; 4 credits three-quarter-time; 3 credits half-time

Summer and Winterim Enrollment

Summer is the beginning of our award year, therefore, if you are registered at least half-time during the summer session(s) you may be awarded Federal Direct Loans and considered for the Federal Pell Grant and work-study. If you do not wish to receive aid during this period, please contact our office.
Winterim is not considered a term, however, if you are enrolled for the academic year or during the spring semester, winterim credits will be included with your spring enrollment. We may be able to offer you additional aid to cover the cost. Contact our office for further information.

Consortium Agreements

Consortium Agreements may be an option for students that are considering taking courses at another institution (host school) but still intend to graduate from the University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point (home school). It allows for students to qualify for financial aid based on enrollment from more than one institution of higher education and to ensure disbursement of the proper amount of financial aid from the "home" school.

Considering taking classes at another University?

  • You may be able to take all of your courses at another institution or you can take some courses at UWSP and some at another institution.

  • Your HOST school must be an approved Title IV School, in other words they have a federally-issued School Code and can process federal financial aid. We, therefore, cannot approve consortium agreements with most foreign schools, a broker, or other agency.
  • There are additional documents that need to be complete before your consortium will be approved, so start early!

  • You (the student) will be responsible for paying all program fees at the host institution. UWSP does not send financial aid directly to the host school. You may use a financial aid refund to pay the host institution, however, if you do not receive a refund you are still responsible to pay the other institution.

  • It is the student's responsibility to provide an official transcript to UWSP once your classes are complete.

Contact our office for more information as well as to receive a copy of the required document to be completed.

Study Abroad

You may be able to receive financial aid while participating in a UW-Stevens Point study abroad program. Make sure to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submit the study abroad budget adjustment request to our office. Our office will revise your cost of attendance to reflect your study abroad program. If the revision to your cost of attendance results in a change to your financial aid eligibility, we will notify you via email. Should you cancel your trip, the cost of attendance will be reversed and your aid will be revised accordingly.

More information on UWSP's study abroad programs can be found on the Office of International Education's website.

Contact our office with questions or to schedule an appointment to discuss funding options for study abroad.

Repeated Coursework

Federal regulations require institutions monitor students taking repeat coursework and determine financial aid eligibility based on that review. This regulation does not affect institutional policy, but it does restrict when a student can receive aid for the repeated course.

Financial aid may be awarded to include any repetition of a course, as long as you have never passed the course. If you previously passed the course, you may include one repetition after passing. Any second or subsequent repetition of the passed course may not be included in your enrollment status for the purpose of receiving federal financial aid.

Students are eligible to receive financial aid only ONCE for a previously passed course. For example: you may take a course and receive a D. Then you may want to retake the course to achieve a higher grade. If the second attempt of the course is not the grade you are seeking (some courses require a C or higher), you are not eligible to receive aid for that course in future attempts.

If you withdraw from all other Title IV eligible courses in the payment period or period of enrollment and continue to attend only the course(s) you are repeating, you may not receive Title IV aid during that period, and you will be considered as withdrawal for Title IV purposes. This is because a student is considered to be attending a Title IV eligible program only if he/she is attending one or more courses in that program for which the student is receiving Title IV, HEA program funds.

The regulations related to retaking coursework only apply to the definition of full-time for undergraduate students.

3DFNo Aid
5DDNo Aid
Copyright © 1993- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point and University of Wisconsin Board of Regents