2022 Groundwater Model Workshops: Application & Resources
Groundwater is an important resource, as it supplies drinking water to the majority of Wisconsin citizens. Help your students visualize the movement of groundwater and pollutants through underground materials by attending this FREE 1-day workshop. This is a great way to guide student learning and meet NGSS standards!
The training is provided by staff from the Wisconsin DNR, the Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey, UW-Stevens Point Center for Watershed Science and Education, and the UW-Madison, Division of Extension's Natural Resources Institute. Funding for the groundwater workshops comes from a wellhead protection "setaside" grant given to the DNR by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
About the Workshops:
Wisconsin teachers, naturalists, and others that educate students and communities about groundwater have the opportunity to attend a one-day workshop and receive a FREE groundwater model for their school, nature center, or organization. Substitute teacher reimbursement available should your school need or request it in order for you to attend.
Those interested in this opportunity will need to:
- Fill out the application. This year's workshops are closed. Please check back in December 2022 for next year's application.
- Attend one of the workshops to receive your model and gain hands-on experience using it
- Agree to incorporate the model into your curriculum or educational programs
- Agree to demonstrate the model and do at least two groundwater related activities with 15 or more students
- Agree to perform at least one activity that has a "take-home" component to increase parent awareness
- Complete and submit a one-page written evaluation
Please note: Because the funding is from the Wisconsin DNR, the workshop is limited to educators that teach in the state of Wisconsin.
Questions about the workshop can be directed to Kevin Masarik, email@example.com, 715-346-4276.
What past participants have said about the workshops
We recently evaluated the effectiveness of the groundwater models and the workshops that have been conducted over the past 10 years.
Click here to view the Executive Summary
Additional groundwater related video links
Aquifer penetration using Groundwater Model - YouTube
Groundwater Model Demo with Captions - YouTube
Little Plover River Pump Test - YouTube
What's Wrong With My Water? - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
WI Well Water Quality Viewer - Search for well water quality information in your community using this interactive mapping viewer.
Ordering Groundwater Model Parts and Supplies
UWSP Groundwater Model Project - for ordering extra parts or model repair