Skip to main content

Credit for Prior Learning​

Prior Learning Assessment

Prior Learning Assessment allows you to receive credit for college-level learning obtained outside the traditional academic setting. Credit is granted for the learning obtained from the experience rather than being granted simply for the experience. The learning is judged to be equivalent to knowledge you would gain through University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point coursework.

For more information regarding Prior Learning Assessment, please contact Sally Cayan at or 715-346-2764.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

CLEP, offered by the College Board, offers general examinations covering broad areas such as humanities, natural science and social science, as well as subject areas such as accounting, biology, American history, and psychology. UWSP grants credit for acceptable scores (determined by each department) on many of the CLEP examinations. Click here to view the UW-Stevens Point CLEP Examination Policy Credit will be entered on your permanent record after you enroll at UW-Stevens Point. UW-Stevens Point offers CLEP testing through the Testing Services Office.  For information on exam fees and to make an appointment to take an exam, please contact: Testing Services, Delzell Hall Third Floor, UW-Stevens Point, Stevens Point, WI 54481, 715-346-4472.

Sending Your CLEP Scores to UW-Stevens Point 

If you indicate UW-Stevens Point as a score recipient at the time you took your CLEP exam, your score report will automatically be sent to us.  If you do not indicate UWSP as a score recipient, you will need to request a CLEP transcript.  Instructions for obtaining CLEP transcripts may be found on the CLEP web site

Test-Out General Education

You may test out of a number of general education (GEP) courses. When you pass a departmentally approved test in a GEP course, the requirement to enroll in the course is waived. You don't earn credit when you test out, but the course applies toward fulfillment of that GEP.  For example, if you test out of Communication 101, you satisfy the Communication 101 GEP without enrolling in the course.  See "Test-Out and Credit-by-Exam Policy" under the General Education Program section of our catalog or contact individual departments for more information about their test-out opportunities.

Other Test-Out Options

Test-out options for credit vary by department. For more information contact Sally Cayan at or 715-346-2764.
©1993- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point