Schedule of Classes Abbreviations and Definitions
Click on the Search for Classes tile from your accesSPoint Homepage.
For more information about how to use the Search function, click here.
- Catalog Number – Number assigned to a course that appears in the Catalog. For COMM 101, 101 is the catalog number.
- Class Capacity – The total number of students that will be allowed to enroll in a particular class.
- Class Detail – Clicking on the section number for a class will bring up the Class Detail. There is more in depth information about the class in this area including number of credits, class components, enrollment requirements, class attributes, availability and course description.
- Class Number – The system auto-generates a unique 5 digit number that identifies a particular class (a particular section in a particular term). The first digit of the class number will match the last digit of the term that it is held in.
- Closed – The section of the class has reached class capacity. Closed courses will have a blue square under Status.
- Combined Sections - The feature that allows two or more classes to be scheduled in the same room at the same time with the same instructor. Any "slash courses" that we have (e.g. EDUC 301/501) will be scheduled this way, as well as cross-listed (equivalent) courses.
- Course/Class Attribute - A designation attached to a course or class to indicate it meets some criteria. For instance, General Education Program areas are attached as attributes.
- Course Attribute Value – A more specific breakdown of the Course Attribute - the categories for the GEP/GDR requirements, for example (Humanities, Arts, Global Awareness, etc.).
- Course Career – Denotes at what level a course is taught (Undergraduate, Graduate, etc).
- Course Component - The different parts of a course that are scheduled in the Schedule of Classes. This could include the lecture, lab, and discussion (LEC, LAB, and DIS). When adding a class to your shopping cart that has multiple components, it will allow you to select only the enrollment component. The other components associated with the class will be auto-enrolled.
- Course ID - Permanent, unique number assigned by the system to a specific course. The ID is created when the course is added to the Catalog and stays with that course throughout its lifecycle. If a course changes catalog number or subject (curriculum), the Course ID would stay the same.
- Days and Times – Abbreviations for the days of the week a course is offered.
- Mo – Monday
- Tu – Tuesday
- We – Wednesday
- Th – Thursday
- Fr – Friday
- Sa – Saturday
- Enrollment Requirements – Enrollment Requirements for each class can be found in the Class Detail section. Here you will find any prerequisites, consent required, or other special requirements for the course.
- Enrollment Total – This will tell you how many students are registered for the course.
- GDR – General Degree Requirements (Before Fall 2013)
- GEP – General Education Program (Fall 2013 to present)
- "H" in Section Number – Denotes this is an Honors section. You must be a member of the University Honors Program to enroll in this section.
- Instructor Consent – Online authorization is required from the instructor before you will be able to register for this course.
- Location - Where the course is being taught. We have the following locations identified: UWSP, Off-Campus, Treehaven, and CWES (Central Wisconsin Environmental Station).
- Mode of Instruction - Refers to how a class is being taught. The available values are defined here.
- Open – This section of the class has not reached class capacity. Open courses will have a green circle under Status.
- Prerequisite – Courses that must be successfully completed before you will be able to take this class. You will be able to register for the class in accesSPoint if the prerequisites have been completed or are in progress. AccesSPoint assumes in progress courses will be successfully completed.
- Room – Building and room number where the course will meet. Campus will be designated here if the class is being held at one of the branch campuses.
- Section – Here you will find the section number, course component (lecture, lab, discussion, etc.) and which session the course is being offered. Clicking on this link will take you to the Class Detail.
- Session - A period of time within a term in which classes are offered. Each session has defined drop/refund dates.
- Status - This will display whether a class is open, closed, or has a wait list.
- Term - A period of time when students are admitted/enrolled. We have four terms: Fall, Winterim, Spring, and Summer.
Terms are identified by the year first (remove the second number from the year), followed by a one digit academic term:
- Winterim = 2
- Spring = 4
- Summer = 6
- Fall = 8
For example, during the academic year 2017-2018, the following codes are used to represent each term:
- Fall 2017 = 2178
- Winterim 2018 = 2182
- Spring 2018 = 2184
- Summer 2018 = 2186
- Units – Also referred to as credits.
- Wait List – This class has reached capacity and a wait list has been created. Wait listed classes will have a yellow triangle under Status.
- Wait List Capacity – The total number of students that will be allowed to get on the wait list.
- Wait List Total – The number of students that are on the wait list for the class.
- AAS - Associate of Arts and Science
- BA - Bachelor of Arts
- BM - Bachelor of Music
- BFA - Bachelor of Fine Arts
- BS - Bachelor of Science
- BSN - Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- MS - Master of Science
- MNR - Master of Natural Resources