Skip to main content

Social Security Number

The use of the social security number as part of your university record is convenient for you and the school. It provides you with lifetime continuity of records and with an easily remembered number for requesting transcripts or referring to your permanent records in future years. While submission of your social security number is voluntary, you should consider carefully the advantages of having the social security number as part of your university record. We urge you to include it. 

  • If you supply your social security number, the university will not, without your written permission, use it for purposes other than routine record keeping and institutional statistics.
  • Registration materials received without social security numbers will be processed and another form of student identifier number will be assigned.

Special Work/Independent Study Registration

To register for special work, independent study, and thesis courses you need to obtain the approval of the instructor with whom you are doing the work and the chair of the department in which the course is offered. The chairs authorization must be granted electronically to register for these courses on the web. The courses which require this special registration are most courses ending in 95, 96, 97, 98, and 99 (e.g., 399, 796).

Student Rights and Privacy of Records

You, as a student, are entitled to review those records, files, and other materials maintained by this University that contain information directly relating to you. You may challenge information considered inaccurate or misleading and if the custodian of the record refuses a request for modification or removal of the information, you may file an appeal in writing to the Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs. Student records are maintained in offices of the Registrar, Accounts Receivable, Protective Services, your dean, departments in which you are majoring or minoring, and other campus offices with which you have been in contact, such as Financial Aids, Residential Living and the Student Academic Advising Center.

The following information may be made available to the public unless you restrict its release by completing a Request to Withhold Directory Information form. The information will be withheld until you notify the Office of the Registrar in writing to remove the restriction.

  • Name
  • Home address and telephone
  • Local address and telephone
  • E-Mail address
  • Place of birth
  • Major/Minor field of study and college
  • Participation in officially recognized university activities and sports
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams
  • Dates of attendance
  • Degrees and awards received
  • The most recent previous educational agency or institution attended
  • Name of parents or guardian
  • High school of graduation

No information, other than the above, will be released without your specific written permission except as provided by law. For additional information, contact the Office of the Registrar.

Website feedback
©1993- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point