Emergency Travel Information

Travel Safe, Travel Smart.

Latest Alerts and Health Information

U.S. State Department's Current Travel Advisories  (List) or (Color-coded map)


Don't forget to enroll in STEP!  It's FREE! 

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) allows U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U. S. Embassy or Consulate.  
Enrollment has the following benefits: you will receive important information about safety conditions in your destination country and it makes it easier for the U.S Embassy and family members to contact you in the event of an emergency.  


 Before You Go

The Traveler's Checklist outlines important steps to prepare for a safe trip outside the United States. For more information, visit the State Department's U.S. Passports & International Travel page.

Consult the State Department's  Travel Advisories page for the advisory level issued for your destination.

Enroll your trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate utilizing the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

Check the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Travelers' Health Information database for country-specific health concerns and vaccination recommendations.  Student Health Service offers travel medicine services to UW-Stevens Point students.

Ensure you have insurance coverage if you should fall ill during your stay or need medical evacuation and prepatriation.  See Insurance section below for details.  

Know what to do in an emergency and review What the Department of State Can and Can't Do in a Crisis and What Can You Do in a Crisis Abroad?

Prescriptions and Other Medications. Make certain your prescriptions are in their original containers, bring the generic name of the drug with you and also bring a letter from your physician in case you are questioned about your carry-on medication.

For additional information, see the U.S. State Department's   Traveler's Checklist  "Are you Taking Any Prescriptions or Other Medications?"


International Medical, Travel, & Security Insurance

All University of Wisconsin students studying/traveling abroad under a UW sponsored program must enroll in health insurance through an insurance plan offered by Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI).  This program is also available to faculty and staff who are involved in educational programs abroad. 

Employee Travel Accident Coverage - Europ Assistance

Employees in work status while involved in educational pursuits abroad, have medical evacuation and repatriation coverage through the Europ Assistance program.  Enrollment in this program is managed at UW-Stevens Point by the Travel office.

 Attending UW-Stevens Point from another country?

Students attending UW-Stevens Point from another country may contact the Office of International Education for additional resources.

 Enrolled in a Study Abroad Program?

Contact the Office of International Education if you have questions or for additional information pertaining to your destination.


​​ ​


Office of International Education

Travel Office 

UW TravelWIse

Student Health Service (offers travel consultations for international travelers)

Page Last Reviewed: May 4, 2022

Page Last Updated: July 12, 2023​