The importance of lived experience remains from direct services all the way to leadership and supervision roles. Professional development and career advancement opportunities can prevent burnout in the Peer workforce and equip and empower Peer Specialist to step into leadership positions. A Peer Career Ladder will give your workforce something to work towards and ensure lived experience is represented at every level of an organization.
Presenters: Michael Sersch, Psychotherapist, MS, LPC, CSAC, BCB, CS-IT, Gundersen Health System and Jessica Kimber, Community Health Specialist
Anxiety about leading groups is very common. This workshop will introduce several styles of group facilitation as well as the natural life cycle of most groups.
- Participants will be able to identify common group styles.
- Participants will be able to describe the common life cycle of a group.
- Participants will begin to explore their own style to group facilitation.
Presenter: Mondara Thrasher, Certified Peer Specialist , Spiritual Companion, and Herbal Educator, Wild Sanctuary
In this workshop participants will learn two practices, embodied consent and rejection-for-connection, that support people in engaging with their boundaries in ways that promote connection and empowerment. Specifically developed for survivors of emotional and spiritual abuse and neglect, these practices allow users to (re)claim their power by learning about what their boundaries are and how to engage with them, while deepening trust and connection with others. The facilitator will talk about their experience with developing these practices, lead an embodied meditation to demonstrate how the body is involved in this process, and participants will have the opportunity to practice with one another.
- Participants will be able to explain why survivors of trauma have specific needs in how they relate with their boundaries and in how they heal boundary violations.
- Participants will be able to describe how their bodies feel differently when they use these practices for connection.
- Participants will be able to engage with others in embodied consent and rejection-for-connection.
Presenters: Rachel Hayden, Certified Personal Medicine Coach Trainer, Certified Peer Specialist, Milkweed Connections and Hope Kissinger, Certified Peer Specialist, Personal Medicine Coach Trainer, Recovery Coach, Yoga Teacher, Milkweed Connections
Personal Medicine is an emerging evidence-based practice developed by Pat Deegan, Ph.D. Distinct from coping skills, it teaches you to listen to your inner wisdom and use it for your recovery and well-being in the way that only you can do it!
- Participants will understand what makes Personal Medicine a distinct practice and how it can also be used alongside other means of recovery such as peer support, pharmaceutical medications, therapy, and coping skills.
- Learn how Personal Medicine coaches are "disruptive innovators" within the mental health system.
- Gain an understanding of the ways Personal Medicine evokes each person's unique wisdom.
Presenter: Allilsa Fernandez, B.A., Consultant for Mental Health and Disability Justice, Latino Justice Law Bound and The Coelho Center for Disability Law, Policy and Innovation
What is the impact when we don't consider diverse backgrounds or provide inclusive spaces? Why it is beneficial to ensure mental health is inclusive of everyone?
- Participants will define intersectionality.
- Participants will discuss about mental health impact in the TGNC and LGBTQIA+ community, especially for BIPOCs and what these terms means.
- Participants will explore how can we provide inclusive spaces and why it is important.
Presenters: Erica Falk-Huzar, PsyD, Education Specialist, Human Services-Board Certified Practitioner, Substance Abuse Counselor-In Training, Certified Integrative Mental Health Professional, Owner/Administrator, Deer Path Integrated Living, Inc. and Kristina Huzar, Certified Peer Specialist, Assistant program Director, Deer Path Integrated Living
Sisters with lived experience, one in recovery from heroin addiction and the other living with schizoaffective disorder, share how they overcame their struggles and became a Certified Peer Specialist and Doctor of Psychology, respectively, working to instill the same sense of hope in others.
- Participants will discuss the possibilities of creating normalcy and overcoming personal insecurities.
- Participants will understand that mental illness and addiction are not in charge and that we are able to break down stigma barriers to accomplish short and long terms personal goals of self-fulfillment.
- Participants will leave with a sense of self-worth and resources to increase future potential.