Pointers Connect Internship (PCI) Program Facts for Employers
About the Program
The Pointers Connect Internship (PCI) Program connects Central Wisconsin small businesses and nonprofits (501c3) to a pipeline of diverse talent. Participating organizations are reimbursed for providing paid internships to junior and senior first-generation students, nontraditional students, or students eligible for the Federal Pell Grant.
- $1,500 reimbursement
- Access to a diverse pool of talent
- Promotion of your position
- Support from our office
PCI Program Details
- Employers can hire up to two interns per term or a maximum of six per year
- Students should complete up to 150 hours of work
- Internships typically last 10-15 weeks
- Interns are paid a minimum of $10 per hour from your own payroll
- You may offer more hours or higher pay, but we will only reimburse up to $1,500 for 150 hours of work
- If the student chooses to earn credit, they must receive approval from their academic department
New employers should contact the
PCI Coordinator to discuss program eligibility.
- All internships are posted on Handshake.
- Choose the "employer" account type and follow the instructions to set up your account
- Post your position on Handshake and notify the PCI Coordinator about the posting
- The PCI Coordinator will review the position for acceptance into the PCI Program
- Students can apply to you directly or through Handshake; just specify which documents you want them to send (resume, cover letter, etc.)
- Create an account on UWSP's Handshake platform and post your position.
- Notify the PCI Coordinator that your positions are ready for review.
- The PCI Coordinator reviews your position(s), approves them for the PCI Program and promotes them to students
- Students apply directly to you
- Review applications. Contact the PCI Coordinator to confirm applicants' eligibility
before requesting an interview
- Interview students, and make internship offers to those you want to hire
- Notify the PCI Coordinator of your hire
Send Official Documentation:
- Complete the Employer Contract
- Have your new intern complete the
- Return the two completed contracts to the PCI Coordinator
- Start working together! Employ and mentor your student intern during an internship
At the End of the Internship:
- Complete the employer survey
- Submit a final pay stub to the PCI Coordinator for reimbursement
- The PCI Program reimburses you $1500 for giving your intern a great experience*
How We Reimburse You
At the end of the student's internship, complete the employer survey and send the PCI Coordinator the following documents:
- A pay stub proving the student worked 150 hours and was paid $10/hour*
- Your W9 Form (first internship only)
- An invoice for $1,500, if desired
- Please note that we cannot reimburse interns’ wages until we have received your contracts, the internship is complete, and the employer survey is done
*If the student does not complete 150 hours, we will reimburse you up to the amount completed.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if my organization is eligible to participate in the PCI Program?
Email the PCI Coordinator to discuss your organization's eligibility.
How do I know if a student is eligible?
The PCI Coordinator will check students' eligibilty. Just send the student's name prior to an interview.
Can I hire a student more than once?
Each student is only eligible for one PCI Program experience. You may re-hire students outside of PCI funding.
How many internships do you sponsor each semester?
We sponsor 50 internships per year, or 15-20 positions per semester on a first-hired, first-served basis.
Are students required to earn credit for their internships?
Students may participate in the program without earning credit. If a student chooses to earn credit, they must obtain approval from their academic department. Departments may have additional requirements.
Please contact the PCI Coordinator:
email@example.com or 715-346-3226.