A joint project of:
UWSP University Archives
Portage County Public Library
Stevens Point Area Genealogical Society
Search for Names, Dates and Cemeteries:
The Portage County Cemetery Locator lists over 43,000 names located in 67 Portage County cemeteries. The database is an update and continuation of Wayne Allen and Alta Guyant's Index of the Cemeteries of Portage County [Stevens Point: Stevens Point Area Genealogical Society, 19??], housed at the Portage County Public Library.
The Guyant Index was completed in the mid-1970's. The Cemetery Locator database was completed in mid-November of 1999. The earliest identifiable birth date in the Cemetery Locator is that of Mary Crane, 1771 - 1872, in the First Belmont (Kent) cemetery.
The format of the Locator is consistent with the format of the Guyant Index. Information in the database is transcribed directly from the headstones (and not church records).
- The search is an automatic "AND" search, and finds only entries that match all of the words and or dates that you enter.
- The search is also a "string" search: "Timm" also finds "Stimm" and "Timmons."
- Blank: Entries with "blank" in the date field indicate that information was not on the headstone. A "blank" in the date of death field may mean the person is still living, but there are numerous cases where, considering the date of birth, the person is deceased, and the date of death has not yet been engraved.
- ?: Entries with "?" in the date field indicate that the information on the headstone was not decipherable.
- No dates: Entries with "No dates" in the date field indicate that the headstone has only a name.