Laura Anderson McIntyre, Ph.D.
Phone: (715) 346-4182
Office: TNR 365
Laura Anderson McIntyre's keen interest in outdoor recreation stems from family camping trips to the US national parks and a youth spent exploring the outdoors in rural Ohio. Before arriving in Stevens Point, Laura was a Postdoctoral Associate in the Park Studies Laboratory at University of Vermont. She has been a park naturalist, camp counselor, conservation intern, and visitor survey coordinator. She teaches courses in forest recreation planning and management, nature-based tourism, landscape architecture, and human dimensions of natural resource management. Laura also advises the Park and Recreation Association student organization at UW-Stevens Point.
- B.A. – Biology, Wittenberg University
- M.S. – Natural Resources, The Ohio State University
- Ph.D. – Wildlife and Fisheries Conservation, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- FOR 485/685 – Forest Recreation Planning and Site Design
- FOR 480/680 – Forest Recreation Management
- For 385/585 – Applied Landscape Architecture
- FOR 334/534 – Forest Recreation and Tourism
- FOR 394 – Forest Recreation Seminar
- FOR 335 – Recreational Use of Forests and Parks
- FOR 319 – Land Surveying
- NRES 150 – People, Resources, and the Biosphere
- Unplug or Plugging-In? Understanding Visitor Connections to Technology on Remote and Urban-Proximate Forests
- An Evaluation of Northern Highland American Legion State Forest Visitors in Support of Strategic Direction
Manning, R., Anderson, L., & Pettengill, P. (2017). Managing outdoor recreation – Case studies in the national parks. 2nd edition. Oxfordshire, UK: CABI Publishing.
Anderson, L. and Baker, M. (2016). Motivations for technology escape in Wisconsin's largest state forest. Proceedings of the 2015 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium.
Anderson, L., Manning, R., Valliere, W., Reigner, N., Pettengill, P, & Pierce, V. (2015). Alternative transportation systems in the national parks: Assessing the Full Circle Trolley. Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, 33(1), 112-131.
Anderson, L. & Manning, R. (2013). Normative evaluations among paddlers: A comparison of two dimensions of experience. Tourism in Marine Environments, 9(1-2), 53-67.