The STEM Tutoring program primarily serves students in lower-level courses in the following disciplines: Accounting, Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Geography, Geology, Math, and Computing. Our program hires outstanding students recommended by faculty in consultation with the STEM Tutoring Coordinator. Tutors help students understand course material, review for tests, and develop study skills. They bring experience, expertise, and enthusiasm to group discussions and one-on-one tutorials. The STEM Tutoring program serves approximately 1000 students in over 100 courses each semester.
- 3.5 or better cumulative GPA highly preferred.
- Earned A or A- in courses you wish to tutor (test out acceptable for some courses).
- Completed at least one semester at UWSP.
- Available to tutor for at least two semesters.
- Excel at working with peers in a collaborative learning environment.
- Enjoy helping others to learn.
- Recommendation from a UWSP faculty member.
- Tutor UWSP students either one-on-one or in small groups in course content.
- Assist learners in the development of effective study skills and testing strategies.
- Be knowledgeable of TLC and STEM Tutoring program procedures.
- Attend required orientations, meetings, and training sessions.
- Enroll in Post-Secondary Learning 301: Workshop in Academic Success Strategies within first two semesters of employment.
Selection of STEM tutors for a given semester begins week 10 of the previous semester.
One-on-one and drop-in tutors arrange tutoring times with the Program Coordinators and TLC Office Manager based on their availability. Group tutors choose the days and times for group discussions based on their availability and course patterns (days/times of course lectures and labs, exams, etc).
STEM tutoring is a student employment opportunity. The number of hours a tutor works is dependent upon student requests for assistance. Tutors must be available for a minimum of four contact hours/week. The TLC cannot guarantee a minimum or maximum number of contact hours. Tutoring wages start at $10.00 per hour.