Master of Music Education (MME) Application Process

Click below to apply for the Master of Music Education (MME)


If you are not a current UWSP student, fill out the UW graduate application and have your transcripts sent to us by clicking here. 


Application for admission to the Music Education Graduate Program will requires: 
  • Verification of your certification.
  • Transcripts (to be reviewed).
  • Interview with the program coordinator.
  • Letter of reference from a current or former administrator, mentor teacher, professor, or employer. 
For any questions about admission to the program, please contact the music department at

It typically takes four weeks to receive an admission decision after all materials are submitted to the Admissions office. Then, you should complete an program application specifically for the MME. Although it is not a requirement, it is in your best interest to send materials at least two months before you wish to register for classes. Students with international transcripts and all international students should contact the program coordinator for graduate study in music education, Dr. Rachel Brashier at, to inquire about additional documentation that may be required. You will be contacted after all items are received for an intake interview.


After you apply for admission to the MAT, you will receive a letter from the Graduate School indicating whether or not you have been admitted as well as any conditions of admission that must be satisfied. You should then contact the music department graduate adviser Dr. Rachel Brashier at The graduate adviser will meet with you for the next stage of planning, your individual advising appointment. During your appointment, your adviser will review your program requirements, provide you with your Program Handbook, discuss your interests and aspirations, and complete your Program of Study. Your Program of Study is your “plan of action,” listing courses you will take to complete your master’s degree. During your graduate program, you should meet with your adviser regularly and as necessary to complete your program and to plan for your culminating experience, the research project and thesis. Not every class is offered each term. Your adviser will know what courses will be offered in the near future and can help you plan ahead.


If you wish to take graduate courses but do not want to pursue a master’s degree at UW-Stevens Point, you may register as a graduate special. You must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in order to attend as a graduate special. You do not need to complete a formal application process. You will be granted graduate special status when you register for classes.

As a graduate special student you may enroll in graduate-level courses and receive graduate credit for teacher certification requirements or for personal enrichment. A maximum of 9 credits can apply toward a master’s degree provided they are approved by your adviser and fit within the seven-year time period required for completion of the degree. If you decide to pursue a master’s degree, it is in your best interest to change your status to graduate regular as soon as possible.


MMEd students must earn a grade of B or higher in each of their professional music education core courses. Students must maintain an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or more in their graduate level classes (500-level or higher) to stay in good academic standing. Graduate students must earn a grade of C or higher in undergraduate level classes taken to satisfy undergraduate content area deficiencies. Students are placed on academic probation at the end of any semester in which their cumulative graduate GPA is below 3.0. A probationary student must obtain a semester GPA of at least 3.0 in the first semester of probation; failure to do so will result in academic dismissal. If a probationary student is able to raise their semester GPA to a 3.0 or 3 higher during the first semester of probation, but their overall GPA is still below a 3.0, the student will be given one additional semester to raise their cumulative GPA to a 3.0 or higher; failure to do so will lead to dismissal. There is a process for requesting reinstatement after dismissal; please see the music department graduate adviser for more information.

MME Coordinator

Dr. Rachel Brashier