Skip to main content

Transfer Credits

Transfer Guides and Articulation Agreements

We strongly recommend that you login to Transferology for timely and accurate information on course equivalencies between the UW College campuses, Wisconsin Technical Colleges and UW-Stevens Point.


UW System Policy

The UW System has developed an undergraduate transfer policy. This policy strives to assure that students transferring between UW System institutions, as well as those transferring from other institutions into the UW System, are treated fairly when changing colleges. Among its provisions are policies stating that a General Education requirement at one University of Wisconsin institution be honored at the transfer institution and that the Associate of Arts and Sciences degree (AAS) granted by the UW Colleges meets the institution-wide General Education requirements of a University of Wisconsin Bachelor's degree (requirements found in all undergraduate degrees offered by the institution). However, some degrees have additional General Education requirements, so you will want to work with your UW Colleges' campus advisor in planning your courses appropriately.

Uniform Policy Statement on Credit Transfer

Students enrolled in the Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) who wish to continue their education in the UW System (UWS) may be eligible to transfer credits toward their associate's degree in the following ways:

  • Students enrolled in the college parallel program at any of the following five WTCS institutions (Madison College, Milwaukee Area Technical College, Nicolet Area Technical College, Chippewa Valley Technical College or Western Technical College) may be eligible to transfer up to 72 credits.
  • WTCS students may be eligible to transfer up to 72 credits of general education coursework within the areas of Communications, Behavioral Sciences, Social Sciences, Mathematics and Natural Sciences.
  • Students transferring from the WTCS may be eligible for credit by earning appropriate scores on national standardized examinations (e.g., College Level Examination Program) or examinations developed by the UW Colleges.

For more information about these transfer opportunities, students should consult with their WTCS advisors or the Solution Center at a UW Colleges campus.

Transfer Credits from a Non-UW System School

Credit is awarded for college-level course work completed at institutions accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). (Foreign institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education in that country.) Courses must be similar in nature, level and content to a course in our curriculum. Continuing education courses, graduate-level courses, and courses that are remedial, technical, vocational or doctrinal in nature are not transferable.

Website feedback
©1993- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point