Kathryn R. Zalewski, PT, MPA, Ph.D.
Program Director -
Doctor of Physical Therapy Program 715-346-2535B147 Science Buildingkathy.email@example.com
- Ph.D. in Motor Learning, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2001
- Master of Public Administration in Public Administration, University of San Francisco, 1992
- B.S. in Physical Therapy, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1986
Kathy’s interests are focused on health disparities and health outcomes associated with rehabilitation, with a particular interest in older adults. She continues to explore how community engagement is a mediator to rehabilitation outcomes for people managing chronic disabling conditions. Kathy has a particular interest in meeting the needs of rural communities and addressing the unique rehabilitation needs of people in these communities.
Experience and Interests
- Professor/Program Director, UW-Stevens Point (July 2019-present)
- Associate Professor/Program Director, UW-Milwaukee (2006-2018)
- Associate Professor, Concordia University Wisconsin (1994-2006)
- Barriers to remaining physically active for adults with disability
- Community and culture in disability and rehabilitation – with focus on the unique needs of rural communities
Funding: Compeer Financial
Title: Shaping the Future of Rural Rehabilitation: A Training Program for Health (Sept. 2019 – December 2021)
Goals: This is a mixed-methods research study exploring barriers to
access to rehabilitation services in rural communities in Central and
Honors and Awards
- Faculty Distinguished Public Service Award (2016), UW-Milwaukee
- Dean’s Award for Outstanding Service (2011), College of Health Sciences, UW-Milwaukee
- Alumnus Honoris Award (2008), Clintonville School District, Clintonville, Wis.
- Mary Pat Murray Award for Clinical Excellence (2005), Wisconsin Physical Therapy Association
- Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education
- Commissioner and On-Site Team Lead (2010-present)
- Physical Therapy Examining Board – State of Wisconsin: Board Member and Vice Chair (2017-present)
- Children’s Hospital Foundation, Wauwatosa WI
- Founder/Co-Chair: Zalewski Family Endowed Fund for Neurology Care
- American Physical Therapy Association/APTA-Wisconsin (1986-present)
- American Council of Academic Physical Therapy: member (2012-present); director (2015-2021)
- Zalewski, K, Furhman, G. (Accepted for publication-Fall 2018)
Walk. Atlanta, GA: The Journal of Humanities in Rehabilitation.
- Amateis A, Boesel C, Ehnert B, Evans A, Hurst K, Marek K, Sullivan A, May A, Zalewski K, Huddleston W. (Published online May 23, 2018)
The need for mapping personalized goals to exercise dosage in community-based exercise programs for people with Parkinson’s disease? Physiotherapy Theory and Practice.
- Scharf, E., Thompson, K., Fons, L., Drews, J., Weber B., Zalewski K. (2018). American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, St. Louis, MO, "Being Part of the Community: Perceptions of public transit by people with disabilities".
- Zalewski K and Alt C. (2016). Developing a New Professional Identity for Physical Therapy: Using Community Partnerships to Explore the Origins of Health. Health Promotion Research – An International Forum “Next Society”; Trondheim, NO.
- Zalewski K and Alt C. (2016). Health Informed Rehabilitation: Assessment and Management of Barriers to Physical Activity. Submitted to the American College of Rehabilitation Medicine (ACRM) Annual Conference.
- Zalewski K, Arvinen-Barrow M, and Alt C (2014). Identifying barriers to remaining physically active after rehabilitation: differences in perception between physical therapists and older adult patients.
Journal of Orthopedic and Sport Physical Therapy, 44(6):15-24.
- Zalewski, K and Dvorak L (2011). Activity participation and barriers to activity participation for adults with and without stroke.
Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation. Oct. 18 Suppl 1:666-75.