School of Education Minors & Certifications

Adapted Physical Education is physical education which has been adapted or modified, so that it is as appropriate for the person with a disability as it is for a person without a disability. Students interested in earning the adapted physical education license must complete the physical education major in addition to the adapted physical education coursework, PEX 400, 401, 415, 445, 460 and Education 351. 
Undergraduate students with a desire to better meet the needs of children with special needs, ages birth through third grade, should consider an Early Childhood Special Education minor. Coursework focuses on early intervention, assessments, and instruction. The minor can lead to a Wisconsin Early hdhood Special Education teacher liecnse if student teaching in this setting is completed.

Health Education

The Health Education minor is designed to meet the needs of students who are interested in teaching health to school-aged children.  The minor provides students with the content, practicum, and curriculum classes that are required for the state 910 add-on certification.  Students who have the add-on certification will be certified to teach health for the age levels associated with their primary teaching license.

The Special Education minor is for undergraduate students who want to increase their knowledge of, and ability to apply, instructional methods, behavior management techniques, individual assessments, communtcollaboration strategies, and supports for transition for PK-12th grade students with differing needs. It can be taken as a minor for Cross Categorical Special Education teacher certification in Wisconsin.
The Special Education Certificate is available if you are an undergraduate student, and are already seeking a teaching certification. The certificate is awarded after the completion of all required coursework.

Program participants will gain knowledge and practical skills in order to meet diverse needs of students with disabilities in the K-12 setting. This Special Education Certificate can lead to a special education teacher license if additional courses and student teaching in a special education seting are completed. Contact the School of Education for more information about the certificate.