Through the discovery and dissemination of knowledge, UWSP stimulates intellectual growth, provides a liberal education, and prepares students for a diverse and sustainable world.
The University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point will be recognized for its preparation of students and development of citizens who will affect local, regional, and global affairs and engage with the concerns of the world.
Through the following strategic themes, goals, and action steps, we will uphold our mission, honor our values, and realize our vision.UW-Stevens Point Strategic Plan
- Student-centered environment
- Critical thinking, creativity, and lifelong learning
- Professional preparation
- Community involvement and outreach
- Ecological stewardship
UW-Stevens Point shares in the mission of the University of Wisconsin System.
University of Wisconsin System Mission
The mission of this system is to develop human resources, to discover and disseminate knowledge, to extend knowledge and its application beyond the boundaries of its campuses, and to serve and stimulate society by developing in students heightened intellectual, cultural, and humane sensitivities; scientific, professional, and technological expertise; and a sense of purpose. Inherent in this broad mission are methods of instruction, research, extended education, and public service designed to educate people and improve the human condition. Basic to every purpose of the system is the search for truth.
As an institution of the University of Wisconsin System, UW-Stevens Point shares the following core mission with other universities. Each university shall:
- a) Offer associate and baccalaureate degree level and selected graduate programs within the context of its approved mission
- b) Offer an environment that emphasizes teaching excellence and meets the educational and personal needs of students through
effective teaching, academic advising, counseling, and through university-sponsored cultural, recreational, and extracurricular
- c) Offer a core of liberal studies that supports university degrees in the arts, letters, and sciences, as well as specialized
- professional/technical degrees at the associate and baccalaureate level.
- d) Offer a program of preprofessional curricular offerings consistent with the university's mission.
- e) Expect scholarly activity, including research, scholarship, and creative endeavor, that supports its programs at the associate and
baccalaureate degree level, its selected graduate programs, and its approved mission statement.
- f) Promote the integration of the extension function, assist the University of Wisconsin-Extension in meeting its responsibility for
statewide coordination, and encourage faculty and staff participation in outreach activity.
- g) Participate in inter-institutional relationships in order to maximize educational opportunity for the people of the state effectively and
efficiently through the sharing of resources.
- h) Serve the needs of women, minority, disadvantaged, disabled, and nontraditional students and seek racial and ethnic diversification
of the student body and the professional faculty and staff.
- i) Support activities designed to promote the economic development of the state.
In addition to the Core Mission of the University Cluster Institutions, the select mission of UW-Stevens Point is to provide programs that help communities become more vibrant, healthy, prosperous, and sustainable. We accomplish this by providing a broad foundation in the fine arts, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences for associate and baccalaureate degrees.
Our commitment to helping communities thrive requires that we provide education, research and outreach in a wide array of disciplines, with particular emphases at the baccalaureate level in integrated natural resources management and environmental education; in the performing and visual arts; and in areas such as business, health and wellness professions, communicative disorders, design, select engineering programs, family and consumer sciences, information science, paper science, social work, and teacher education.
UW-Stevens Point provides select master's programs in business, communication, communicative disorders, health care, health promotion, natural resources, teacher education, wellness, and other select areas clearly associated with this university's undergraduate emphases. UW-Stevens Point provides a clinical doctoral program in audiology, as well as professional doctoral programs in select areas of strength at the master's level.
UW-Stevens Point puts special emphasis on promoting inclusivity, advancing human wellness, providing excellent academic support resources, offering extensive study abroad and international programs, and providing a robust array of UW-Stevens Point programs.