Associate Professor and International Studies Coordinator
Office: CCC 465
Phone: (715) 346-2903
Fax: (715) 346-4489
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin - Madison
M.A., University of Wisconsin - Madison
B.A., Carthage College; University of Munich, Germany
HIST 101 - World History to 1500
HIST 102 - World History since 1500
HIST 106 - Medieval History
HIST 176 - United States to 1877
HIST 177 - United States since 1877
HIST 206 - Medicine in World History
HIST 309 - Topics in Medieval History
HIST 315 - Topics in Global and Comparative History
- War and Society in the Middle Ages
- Society and Culture in the Middle Ages
- Religion in the Middle Ages
- Knights and Samurai
- The Crusades
HIST 399 - Special Work
- The Crusades
- The Reformation
- The Renaissance
- Luther and the Reformation
- Luther and Anti-Semitism
- The Western Legal Tradition
Brian J. Hale, "Anna of Saxony and Her Library," Early Modern Women: An Interdisciplinary Journal, Vol. 9/1 (Fall 2014): 101-114.
Brian J. Hale, review of Paper Memory. A Sixteenth-Century Townsman Writes His World, by Matthew Lundin, The Historian, Vol. 76/2 (Summer 2014): 413-414.
Brian J. Hale, "review of Witchcraft and Inquisition in Early Modern Venice by Jonathan Seitz," The Sixteenth Century Journal. The Journal of Early Modern Studies 44/2 (Summer 2013): 492-493.
Brian J. Hale, review of Remembering the Crusades.
Myth, Image, and Identity, edited by Nicholas Paul and Suzanne Yeager, Journal
of Military History 76.4 (October 2012): 1232-1233.
Brian J. Hale, review of The Debate on the Crusades by Christopher Tyerman, Journal of Military History 76.2 (April 2012): 560-562.
Brian J. Hale, "Review Essay: Recent Literature on the Crusades," The Journal of Military History, Vol. 75/4 (October 2011):1225-1272.
Brian J. Hale, review of Die vorderoesterreichischen Montanregionen in der Fruehen Neuzeit, by Angelika Westermann, The Sixteenth Century Journal. The Journal of Early Modern Studies 42/4 (Summer 2011): 608-610.
Brian J. Hale, review of The Negotiated Reformation: Imperial Cities and the Politics of Urban Reform, 1525-1550, by Christopher W. Close, German Studies Review 54/1 (February 2011): 162-164.
Brian J. Hale, review of Holy Warriors: A Modern History of the Crusades, by Jonathan Phillips, Journal of Military History 74.3 (July 2010): 910-911.
- "Female Literacy in the Early Modern World: Anna of Saxony and Her Library," presented at the Sixteenth Century Society and Conference, Cincinnati, Ohio, October 26, 2012.
Memoriam Robert M. Kingdon: Wettin Women and Their Marriages in the
Sixteenth Century," presented at the Sixteenth Century Society and
Conference, Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, October 29, 2011.
- "Four Wettin Women and the Reformations: Relationships and Religion
in Eastern Central Germany," presented at the German Studies Association
Thirty-Fourth Annual Conference, Oakland, California, October 8, 2010.
Honors and Awards
- University Excellence for Teaching, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point - 2002
Advising and Mentoring
- Faculty Advisor
- May Roach Hall Faculty Mentor
- Hmong/Southeast Asian-American Scholarship Committee
- American Historical Association (AHA)
- Conference Group of Central European History (Link)
- German Studies Association (GSA)
- Medieval Academy of America (MMA)
- Phi Alpha Theta (F?T)
- Renaissance Society of America (RSA)
- Sixteenth Century Studies Conference (SCSC)
- Society for Reformation Research (SRR)
<< Back to faculty page