Foundations of Reading Test for Wisconsin
Who needs to take the test?
Students wishing to gain licensure in the following areas are required to take this test:
- Early Childhood Majors and add-ons: Early Childhood, Early Childhood-Middle Childhood and Early Childhood Summer Program
- Elementary Education Majors and add-ons, including those licensed in elementary adding middle school
- Special Education Majors, Minors and add-ons: CD, ECSE, EBD, LD and Cross Categorical Special Education
- Reading Teacher (316) and Reading Specialist (17) Licensures
This rule first applies to an application for a teaching license received by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) before January 31, 2014
Passing Score Information
- Initial Passing Score: Applicants who apply for Wisconsin Licensure on or after January 31-August 31, 2014, are required to earn a passing score of 229.
- Benchmark Passing Score: Applicants who apply for Wisconsin Licensure on or after September 1, 2014, are required to earn a passing score of 240.
How much will it cost?
Why will I be required to take another test?
According to the newly enacted Wisconsin State Statute ACT 166:
Section 21.118.19(14)(a) any person applying for a teacher license "...to teach in grades kindergarten to 5 or in special education, an initial license as a reading teacher, or an initial license as a reading specialist..." are required to take and pass a Foundations of Reading Test.
About the Test
When am I ready to take the test?
Register at least one month in advance
- Complete the workshop practice/training session:
- To be taken in same semester as ED 302
- If you have completed ED 302 prior to January 2014, take the first workshop available
- Add-on certifications - complete the workshop
- Workshop dates will be announced in the SOE Newsletter and typically will be offered the last half of each semester. Please watch SOE Newsletter for dates, times & registration information
- The initial workshop will be held Sunday, January 26, 2014, 3-6 p.m., room 310 CPS
- Study - to include:
Test Prep Study Materials