The Distinguished Alumnus Award was created in 1969 as part of UWSP’s 75th Anniversary Diamond Jubilee Celebration, when awards for distinguished achievement and university service were presented to seven outstanding Pointer alumni, including former university president William C. Hansen and renowned faculty members Elizabeth Pfiffner Debot, Norman Knutzen and May Roach.
Only 96 of more than 70,000 alumni have been granted the "distinguished" designation. Their names, award years, and graduation dates are listed here alongside our Trailblazer award winner.
Each year, the UWSP Alumni Association honors four alumni as the Distinguished Alumni Council. These alumni will come from each of the four colleges, with only one alumnus being selected per year per college.
If you would like to nominate someone for an Alumni Award, you may stop by the Alumni Office or print out and mail in your nomination for one or more of the following awards:
Distinguished Alumni Council Awards
These four awards will be given annually. Nominations must be turned into the Alumni Office by January 10 of the year in which the alumnus is to be considered for the award. (i.e. January 10, 2011 for the 2011 Distinguished Alumnus Award.)If January 10 falls on a weekend, the next business day will be the final deadline. Self-nominations are not considered.
Criteria for the Distinguished Alumni Council Awards
Each candidate should:
- Demonstrate exceptional professional achievement.
- Achieve recognition and reputation extending beyond the immediate environments in which he/she lives and works.
- Be a degreed alumnus of UW-Stevens Point.
- The selection committees for the Distinguished Alumni Council are comprised of the UWSP Alumni Board's Awards and Recognition Committee, the UWSP Alumni Board's Executive Committee, current and emeritus faculty and staff.
Please note you cannot fill and email these forms, they need to be printed and mailed to the UWSP Alumni Association with supporting documentation.
Nomination forms for the Distinguished Alumni Council Awards
Distinguished Alumnus of the College of Fine Arts and Communication
Distinguished Alumnus of the College of Letters and Science
Distinguished Alumnus of the College of Natural Resources
Distinguished Alumnus of the College of Professional Studies
Nomination forms for non-Annual Alumni Awards
These awards are given as warranted. Nominations are accepted on an ongoing basis. Self-nominations are not considered.
Alumni Service Award
Trailblazer Award - an award given to an alumnus within the first ten years of graduating.
Lifetime Achievement Award
How to Nominate
- Fill out the appropriate nomination form, using the links above, illustrating the ways in which the nominee meets or exceeds the award criteria.
- Attach any supporting documentation, including letters of recommendation, resumes, published materials, etc. Although not required, additional documentation is encouraged to allow the committee to see the nominee’s accomplishments in greater detail.
- Mail the Nomination Form and all supporting materials to the UWSP Alumni Association, 134 Old Main, 2100 Main Street, Stevens Point, WI 54481.